TMJ Evaluation and Treatment
Are you having trouble chewing or opening your mouth comfortably? Are you experiencing pain in your jaw, neck, or face, accompanied by headaches? These symptoms are often caused by problems in your temporomandibular joint (TMJ). Cheryl Moccio, DMD is a board-certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon, dedicated to evaluating and treating discomfort from Temporomandibular Joint Disorder in Denville, New Jersey, and the surrounding communities.
What is TMJ?
The temporomandibular joint is a joint in your jaw that allows for free range of movement. It is used whenever you chew, speak, smile, or yawn. TMD, or Temporomandibular Joint Disorder, occurs when the muscles surrounding your jaw don’t function properly, and you experience discomfort, pain, or restricted range of motion. The exact cause of TMD is not always easy to determine, but complications can lead to neck and back pain, as well as tooth damage. Fortunately, our Denville, NJ oral surgeon has been treating TMD with great success for many years. Dr. Cheryl Moccio can evaluate the condition of your TMJ and work to develop a personalized treatment plan to ease your pain and discomfort.
Symptoms of TMJ Disorders
TMJ problems can produce a variety of symptoms, which are different for everyone. The following are the most common.
● Limited range of movement or jaw function
● Pain in your neck, back, or shoulders
● Chronic headaches
● Ringing in the ears
● Clicking sounds when you open and close your mouth
● Jaw pain when you chew, speak, or yawn
Common Treatments for TMJ Disorders
TMD symptoms are temporary and will not usually worsen over time. Therefore, we usually recommend treatments that will alleviate the symptoms, but not change the underlying jaw structure. Once we have diagnosed your TMD, we will work with you to create a personalized treatment plan, which may include the following:
● Splint or Bite Plate - Reduces grinding and clenching, while easing muscle tension.
● Physical therapy - Ease tension and stretch your jaw muscles with exercises you can do at home.
● Restoration adjustment - A bite adjustment may help ease the pain associated with TMJ disorders. This will also reshape teeth so that don’t rub and grind as easily.
● Orthodontics - This may help with alignment issues that are causing TMJ symptoms.
● Oral surgery - When the pain from TMJ can’t be managed with other treatments, we will recommend oral surgery.
If you’re are suffering from painful symptoms caused by TMD, we can help. Give our Denville, NJ office a call today to schedule a consultation. Let us ease your painful TMJ symptoms and help protect your oral health.